The National Transport Authority (NTA) is a department operating under the aegis of the Ministry of Public Infrastructure and Land Transport.
The National Transport Authority, as a service-oriented department is responsible for:
- registration and transfer of ownership of motor vehicles;
- licensing of public service vehicles and goods vehicles as well as petrol service stations;
- collection of road tax and other licence fees;
- controlling and monitoring the examination of motor vehicles;
- licensing of bus conductors;
- enforcement of road transport legislation and monitoring the level of service of public transport;
- enforcement of parking regulations;
- keeping statistics relating to motor vehicles; and
- planning of new transport services.